CBD is becoming an increasingly popular solution for pet owners whose furry family members struggle with fear and anxiety. It can be a highly effective solution, but there are some instances when it may not seem to work. Understanding how CBD works and what may cause it to seem ineffective can help you make the right choices for your pets.
When it comes to managing anxiety and stress in your pets, you may have decided to try CBD as a supplemental tool. However, if you’re new to using CBD for your pets, you might wonder if it’s truly effective. Can CBD make your dog more anxious? Here are some of the things that you should understand about how CBD can help your pets and some reasons why it may not be effective.
How Does CBD Affect Your Pet’s Nervous System?
The endocannabinoid system regulates your pet’s immune and nervous systems through a series of signals distributed through the body’s cells. As part of the nervous system regulation, it directly regulates emotions and mood, including things like stress, anxiety and fear. Cannabinoids, like those found in CBD, trigger the CB1 and CB2 receptors of the endocannabinoid system, encouraging mood regulation and control.
How Can CBD Help Your Pet’s Anxiety?
Because CBD directly triggers the receptors that regulate mood, you will find that a quality CBD product that is dosed properly can help your pet feel a sense of calm and relaxation. The CBD’s interaction with the endocannabinoid system will trigger calming responses instead of the anxiety or fear response that your pet may be struggling with.
Why Didn’t CBD Calm Your Pet?
There are a few key things that can alter CBD’s effectiveness for your pet. These may include:
- Correct dosage — In order for CBD to be effective, your pet needs the proper dosage based on weight and concentration. This can take time to determine and should be done gradually.
- Quality CBD — You need a quality CBD product from a reputable manufacturer to ensure your pet is getting the proper dose. A lab-tested, organic product is an ideal solution.
- Time-Delay — You may be expecting results faster than the CBD oil can take effect. You may need to give the CBD more time to take effect.
- Allergy — Allergic reactions are unusual, but can inhibit CBD’s effectiveness.
- Behavioral issue — The CBD dose may be effective, but it might be an old behavioral habit that your pet needs to unlearn now that the anxiety or fear is manageable.
These are important considerations when it comes to treating your pets with CBD to help manage anxiety.