Cushing’s Syndrome is the result of high levels of the cortisol in your system. This can cause a variety of physical symptoms such as fatty deposits in your face or between your shoulders. While CBD shows some promise in regulating the production of cortisol, more research needs to be conducted to ensure its safety and efficacy
What Causes Cushing’s Syndrome?
Cushing’s Syndrome is a result of your body’s exposure to high concentrations of cortisol. Often this high concentration occurs due to one of several underlying issues:
• Adrenal gland disease
• Adrenocorticotropic hormone-secreting tumor
• Family history of Cushing’s Syndrome
• Pituitary gland tumor
• Use of corticosteroid medications
What Are the Symptoms of Cushing’s Disease?
Cushing’s disease presents itself through a variety of common symptoms:
• Fatty deposits in the face, midsection, or on the upper back between the shoulders
• Purple stretch marks on abdomen, arms, breasts, and thighs
• Skin that bruises easily and is slow to heal
• Erectile dysfunction in men
• Extra facial and body hair in women
What Are the Benefits of Using CBD For Hypercortisolism?
There is an overall lack of research on how CBD can help those with Cushing’s Syndrome. However, there is at least one study that looked at the relationship between cortisol secretion and CBD use. This study found that there may be some efficacy in using CBD for high cortisol levels, which may, in turn, reduce the effect of Cushing’s Syndrome.
If you’re feeling the symptoms of Cushing’s Syndrome, you should discuss the situation with a doctor. They can provide a proper diagnosis and work with you to determine the best treatment plan for your needs.