Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, affects millions of people each year. Children are especially likely to be diagnosed with ADHD, with it affecting nearly 15% of all school-age children.
Yet, what many people don’t realize is that ADHD is made up of three subsets: inattention type, hyperactivity-impulsivity type, and combined type. Learn more about inattentive type ADHD, the symptoms that can help diagnose it, and how CBD may aid in managing this common mental health disorder.
What Is Predominantly Inattentive Type ADHD?
The National Institute of Health defines inattentive type ADHD as when a person has trouble focusing, staying organized, and keeping their mind on task to the point that it interferes with day-to-day responsibilities, such as school or work, or inhibits the growth or development of the individual experiencing them. Those with inattentive type may have some of the symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity type ADHD as well, though if the symptoms appear in equal measure, it is more likely to be combined type ADHD.
What Are the Symptoms?
Of course, it is normal for people to have issues paying attention from time to time. However, when these symptoms are intense, occur frequently, or impact someone’s ability to function socially, it is likely more than just a bout of daydreaming.
To be diagnosed with inattentive type ADHD, an individual usually must exhibit at least five of the listed symptoms:
- Avoids doing schoolwork, writing reports or forms, or reviewing reports
- Constantly loses necessary tools, like keys, wallet, or glasses
- Demonstrates carelessness in work
- Doesn’t appear to listen when spoken to
- Easily distracted and forgetful
- Fails to follow through on common tasks like homework or workplace duties
- Has issues paying sustained attention to long tasks, such as conversations or reading
- Overlooks details
- Lacks organizational skills and may have a messy workplace or desk
Again, a single instance of any of these is not enough for diagnosis. However, as these issues repeatedly present themselves, the odds of being diagnosed with ADHD increase.
What Are the Benefits of CBD Oil for ADD/ADHD Symptoms?
There are a few different ways CBD oil can help manage the symptoms or side effects of inattentive type ADHD:
- CBD oil reduces anxiety caused by ADHD.
- CBD oil helps sleep disorders caused by ADHD.
- CBD oil can act reduce depression caused by ADHD.
Further, some have also found success in using CBD oil as a substitute for Adderall when this commonly prescribed ADHD treatment fails to work or induces negative side effects. These reports, though, are mostly anecdotal. If you’re concerned about your ADHD, reach out to your doctor and bring up the issues. A medical professional can help provide effective treatment and work with you to manage this condition.